Colour Of Change, the nation’s largest on-line racial justice group, and Household Story, a corporation devoted to elevating tales of numerous households, have launched a brand new report, A Harmful Distortion of Our Households, analyzing the information media’s systemic and dangerous misrepresentation of Black households over the past election cycle.
Prime findings from the report embrace:
- fifty nine% of poor households have been depicted in information media as Black, although solely 27% of households dwelling under the poverty line are Black
- 60% of media portrayals of households counting on welfare have been Black, although solely forty two% of households on welfare are Black
- The media overwhelmingly depicts Black fathers as absent within the lives of their youngsters, with none supporting proof
- The media over-represents the affiliation between Black households and criminality, whereas considerably underrepresenting White households’ affiliation with criminality
- Along with conservative media retailers, mainstream media retailers additionally systemically and inaccurately painting Black households. CNN’s portrayal of poor households is a 7 (Black households) to zero (white households) ratio, Fox Information is eight (Black households) to 1 (white households). ABC’s description of households as a supply of social stability is a sixteen (white households) to 2 (Black households) ratio.
“Information and opinion media proceed to strengthen the unfounded and unfair concept that Black households are sources of private, cultural and societal instability and that they’re chargeable for poverty, welfare and crime, slightly than those that form the financial and social surroundings households stay in” stated Nicole Rodgers, Founder and Government Director of Household Story. snip
Within the report, Shade Of Change and Household Story additionally lay out suggestions for a way media retailers can start addressing their inaccurate and dangerous portrayals of Black households:
- Media retailers should cease propagating unfavorable stereotypes that don’t have foundation in reality.
- Media retailers should revise their requirements and protocols for reporting on households and race-associated points.
- Media retailers should educate editorial determination makers and reporters about generally unfold misinformation and stereotyping in reporting in addition to the impression of
- Media retailers should embrace individuals of shade within the editorial course of.
To see the complete report go to: https://colorofchange.org/dangerousdistortion/
We welcome feedback that add info or perspective, and we encourage well mannered debate. In case you log in with a social media account, your remark ought to seem instantly. When you choose to stay nameless, chances are you’ll remark as a visitor, utilizing a reputation and an e-mail handle of comfort. Your remark will probably be moderated.